Friday, February 6, 2009

Out of Budapest: Bratislava

Today, we finally made it out of Hungary and took a day trip to Bratislava, Slovakia. (Photos to come!) It's a two and a half hour train ride out of Budapest's Keleti station. We left in the morning and arrived in Bratislava at noon. Coming out of the station, it was like my first night in Budapest: a strange form of culture shock. Like being transported back in time.

The Soviet legacy is still very obvious in Central and Eastern Europe. It reminds me of my childhood in communist China in an unsettling way. The same infrastructure; the same style of building; the statues.

I chose Budapest because I wanted to be somewhere completely different. A place removed from my childhood in China, my growing up in Canada, and my high school and college years in the United States. Strangely enough, Central Europe is making me confront my issues with the East and the West in a way I never anticipated. Instead, I step into my past, my present, and my future.

Central Europe is a place caught between two cultures and two histories; in many ways, still playing catch up to the modern industrialized state. I am someone who is also caught between two traditions and still trying to figure out how to integrate these different identities into a coherent whole.

We really do find pieces of ourselves in places when we least expected it.

1 comment:

  1. This is what interests me so much about that area of the world. I really hope that one day i'll get to experience it for myself.

    ReplyDelete