Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Arrival

I'm in Budapest!!

My flight was delayed in Amsterdam but otherwise, it was a good trip. So far, Europe seems really lax about visas and such. I got a stamp for Amsterdam! And I can't wait to go back. Schiphol Airport was absolutely crazy. Every announcement was repeated in at least 3 different languages. There were people from everywhere.

While I waited for my flight, I got snacks from Starbucks. The girl behind the counter laughed as I struggled to make out €4.75 with the coins I had just exchanged for. "First time using the Euro?" she asked. I nodded, embarrassed. I'm still such a tourist.

While the Dutch are good at being multi-lingual, Hungarians are not so much. Only the airport has been multi-lingual, while everything else is in Hungarian only. It's weird being so cut off from the outside world. You don't really realize how much you depend on understanding signs and writing until you don't understand it at all.

As I finally made my way to the Central European University this morning, we were stopped several times by people offering tours of the city. They simply come up to us speaking English. We stick out of the crowds as foriegners. I hope towards the end of the trip, I will finally blend in.

No comments:

Post a Comment